About the CCLMGA
Based on the wishes of the members of the Armenian community of Laval to erect a monument commemorating the Armenian Genocide of 1915, and following the City of Laval Council’s approval for the erection of such a monument on a land owned by the City of Laval, a joint committee, the “Comité Conjoint Lavallois du Monument du Génocide Arménien (CCLMGA)", was established in 2010.
This committee includes representatives of the following churches:
- Sourp Kevork Armenian Apostolic Church
- Holy Cross Armenian Apostolic Church
- Notre Dame de Nareg Armenian Catholic Church
- Armenian Evangelical Church of Montreal
Since summer 2010, several steps have been taken including:
- The blessing of the earth by His Holiness Aram 1st, Archbishop Khajag Hagopian, Bishop Bagrat Galstanyan, Bishop Georges Zabarian and Reverend Avedis Zarifian
- The formulation of the project specifications
- The invitation to tender
- The preparation of the legal and financial documents necessary for a sound management of the funds raised
- The opening of tenders and selection of the sculpture
- The presentation and approval of the chosen sculpture to the board members of the Armenian churches and to the elected officials of the City of Laval
- The launch of the website and the commencement of fundraising
The Armenian community of Laval
With its 403 744 inhabitants, the City of Laval is the third largest city in Quebec. Situated in the north of Montreal, Laval is an island of 246 km2, bordered by the Des Prairies and the Mille-Îles rivers.
The Armenian community of Laval is an increasingly growing and prosperous community. In 2011 it had some 7 700 souls, an increase of approximately 18.5% since the last census in 2006. Located mainly in the Chomedey, Ste-Dorothée and Fabreville sectors of Laval, the Armenian community of Laval is served by four churches, three of them located in Laval, and three schools, of which one is in Laval.
You can find further relevant information on the following links:
Thanks to your donations, the Armenian community of Laval (Canada) will unveil, in spring 2013, a monument by the renowned sculptor Arto Tchakmaktchian, in memory of the 1915 Armenian Genocide.Donate Now
P.O. Box 51012 C.P. Cléroux.
Laval (Québec) H7T 2Z3